Cooking with bell peppers tonight? Whatever you do, don't throw away your bell peppers' tops. Bell pepper tops make GREAT stamp art! Our Bell Pepper Art Craft allows kids to "play" with their food and make beautiful art at the same time! My kids decided to make flowers out of their bell pepper art stamps, but kids can make shamrocks, balloons or any design they desire.
BELL PEPPER ART FOR ALL AGES!
The best part about this craft is that kids of all ages can have some messy fun while turning their bell pepper tops into stamp art. As pictured below, the bell pepper's top has a really cool shape, almost like the outline of a flower. If you paint the outside rim and stamp it onto paper, it makes a beautiful, colorful design. Note: We recommend that grown-ups slice off the top of the bell pepper.
LEARN ABOUT BELL PEPPERS WHILE MAKING ART
When a grown-up removes the pepper's top, kids can see the cool inside of the pepper and all its little seeds. This provides a great chance for parents to share some fun facts about bell peppers, like:
- Bell peppers are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
- Bell peppers are native to Central and South America.
- You can eat bell peppers cooked or raw. The peppers are usually red, yellow, green or orange.
- Bell peppers contain important vitamins, like vitamin A and vitamin C, and they offer a number of health benefits.
If you aren't using all of your bell pepper for cooking, consider setting aside some slices (washed, with seeds removed) for kids to snack on as they craft.
Featured Ingredient: Bell Peppers
Corresponding Recipe: The Best Vegan Romesco Sauce with Quinoa and Veggies
Skills supported: Fine motor (painting, stamping), following instructions
✂ BELL PEPPER ART SUPPLIES ✂
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
📝 INSTRUCTIONS 📝
Consider setting up the craft before cooking so that your kids can get to work right away.
1. *Remove top from bell pepper. Rinse and remove any seeds.
2. Using a paint brush, paint the sliced edges of the bell pepper top/head. Stamp the painted side onto paper to form a flower. Repeat using different colors to create a collection of beautiful bell pepper art. Note: If using washable paint, it’s easy to rinse/wipe off the pepper's head and re-paint with a different color.
3. Use a paint brush to color in your flowers and add stems and leaves. Now display your beautiful Bell Pepper Art!
*For toddlers especially, these tasks may require adult supervision and/or assistance.