Because this recipe is so easy, it's a great one for kids to help out. Measuring, mashing, mushing. They can totally get down with this recipe. I really think the coolest thing is for kids to be working with raw, whole ingredients and watch them totally change shape when manipulated by heat. The whole sweet potato can turn into a mash, and the kale cooks down to a smaller size in the pan. My sister said her kids couldn't stop snacking on the toasted pumpkin seeds, so maybe toast a little extra 🙂
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal's featured ingredient: Sweet Potatoes.
🍠 Sweet Potato 🍠
- Sweet Potatoes are a great source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps keep our eyes healthy, improving our nighttime vision and helping prevent eye problems as we get older.
- Sweet potatoes are root vegetables, which means they grow underneath the ground.
- Sweet Potatoes are considered a Superfood. Superfoods are natural foods that are packed with lots of nutrients and vitamins. They support our health in a major way and some even work to fight disease. Other superfoods you probably like are blueberries and avocados.
- Sweet potatoes are usually orange but can also be white or purple.
- North Carolina is ranked as the number 1 sweet potato producing state.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Sweet Potato, Kale & Feta Wrap. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
Kids will love mashing the sweet potatoes. To help, kids can:
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
🍴Kale & Pumpkin Seeds🍴
Watching the kale shrink as it cooks is pretty cool! To help prepare the kale and pumpkin seed mixture, kids can:
We really like these kitchen shears.
To help assemble the wraps, kids can:
This is a really helpful, short video on how to fold the wrap.
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.