This recipe entails lots of chopping and measuring of produce. My kids snacked a ton on the fruit and veggies as they cut them, and I was not mad about that at all 🙂 We totally recommend these Curious Chef Knives for kids. They come in different sizes for different sized hands, and they’re totally safe for kids to use. The radishes might be too hard, so plan on cutting those yourself.
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: QUINOA.
- Fruit: grapes
- Veggies: avocado2, chives, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, zucchini, radish, corn
- Grains: quinoa3
- Protein: none
- Dairy: sour cream, yogurt
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Because of its seed, an avocado is considered a fruit by botanists. But the USDA considers avocados to be veggies, based on their nutrients.
3Quinoa is classified as a grain by the USDA, but technically it’s a seed and therefore, super high in protein.
- Quinoa is actually a seed and not a grain. In fact, quinoa is harvested from tall green plants, and the part of the plant that we eat is the seed.
- Quinoa has been cultivated in South America for thousands of years.
- Quinoa is high in fiber, which helps keep our heart and digestive systems healthy.
- Quinoa is considered a Superfood. Superfoods are natural foods that are packed with lots of nutrients and vitamins. They support our health in a major way and some even work to fight disease. Other superfoods you probably like are blueberries and avocados.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Avocado Ranch Chopped Salad. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To prepare the quinoa, kids can:
BRING WATER TO A BOIL
This teaches kids to pay attention to the stovetop and see what happens to water when it gets that hot. Yay science!
Set timer for quinoa
Grown-ups can teach kids how to use a timer for cooking.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To make the ranch sauce, kids can:
Measure and Assemble Spices
Kids can explore each spice's odor, color and texture.
Mash avocado with a fork
Measure out sour cream and yogurt
Combine sauce ingredients and pour into blender
Kids may enjoy turning the blender "on" and watching everything mix together.
We use our beloved Vitamix.
To put together the salad, kids can:
*Help de-seed, chop & measure out fruit and veggies
Combine quinoa with fruit and veggies
For chopping, we absolutely love this Curious Chef Kid-Friendly Knife!
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.