There is a ton of chopping and mixing that goes into making this meal’s peach salsa. Kids can totally get involved!
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: COD
🐟 food groups1🐟
- Fruits: peaches, lime juice
- Veggies: tomatoes2, onion, cilantro
- Grains: none
- Protein: cod
- Dairy: none
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Tomatoes are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
🐟 Cod 🐟
- Cod is a type of saltwater fish that lives deep in the sea.
- Cod is one of the most popular food fishes in the Atlantic ocean.
- Cod has a greenish-brown back and a white belly.
- Cod is carnivorous, which means it eats meat, like crab, squid, and other cod.
- Cod is low in calories and a good source of protein and other nutrients.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Baked Cod with Peach & Tomato Salsa. Simply hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To help prepare the fish, kids can:
Dress cod with oil and seasonings
I had my daughter put the s&p in her hand and sprinkle it on the fish so it didn't all glob in one spot.
Set the timer for the cod
Grownups can take this opportunity to teach kids how to set cooking times.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To prepare the salsa, kids may:
Chop fruit and veggies*
Kitchen shears can be great for this task!
Mix ingredients together
Kids will love this colorful display of fruits and veggies!
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.