Kids can get super involved and creative when it comes to making these paninis. My son loves using our Vitamix, and my daughter enjoyed slicing the tomatoes and assembling the paninis.
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: TomatoES.
- Fruit: none
- Veggies: spinach, parsley, garlic, tomatoes2 arugula
- Grains: bread
- Protein: pine nuts
- Dairy: cheese
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Tomatoes are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
- Because tomatoes have seeds and grow from a flowering plant, botanically they are considered to be fruits. Yet, nutritionally and legally tomatoes are considered to be veggies.
- Tomatoes are often red but can also be pink, yellow, purple or more!
- China is the largest producer of tomatoes, and tomatoes are the state vegetable of New Jersey.
- Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Crispy Tomato, Pesto & Mozzarella Panini. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To prepare the pesto, kids can:
We use our beloved Vitamix.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To assemble the paninis, kids can:
We’re big fans of these kid-friendly knives.
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.