Between chopping, rinsing and measuring, there are lots of ways for kids to help with our Garlic Shrimp with Chickpeas over Quinoa Recipe. My daughter’s favorite steps were rinsing the shrimp and chickpeas, and measuring spices for the chickpea sauce.
While your kids make this meal with you, pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: CHICKPEAS
🍴 food groups1 🍴
- Fruits: lemon
- Veggies: chickpeas2 , tomatoes3 , spinach, onion, garlic
- Grains: quinoa4
- Protein: shrimp, chickpeas2
- Dairy: butter, cheese
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Beans & Peas are so nutritious that they’re classified as both a vegetable AND a protein.
3Tomatoes are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
4Quinoa is classified as a grain by the USDA, but technically it’s a seed and therefore, super high in protein.
- Chickpeas are usually round and beige and are the main ingredient in the popular food, hummus.
- Chickpeas have been grown in Middle Eastern countries for thousands of years.
- Chickpeas are so nutritious that they’re classified as both a vegetable AND a protein.
- Chickpeas are rich in fiber and high in protein, which makes them a great substitute for meat.
- Chickpeas have important nutrients that may help prevent certain health conditions, like heart disease and cancer.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Garlic Shrimp with Chickpeas over Quinoa Recipe. Just hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
- We used this 2-cup Pyrex Measuring Cup (my favorite old standby) to measure/pour the broth.
- For chopping, my daughter used the Made for Me Beginner’s Knife, one of our faves.
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.