Kids will love making this Grilled Cheese Sandwich for Kids with Creamy Tomato Soup! The 2 best parts?! Watching the soup ingredients blend together in a Vitamix and picking out the cookie cutters!
While your kids make this meal with you, pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal's featured ingredient: TOMATOES
🍅 food groups1 🍅
- Fruits: none
- Veggies: onion, garlic, tomatoes2 , carrots
- Grains: bread
- Protein: none
- Dairy: butter, cheese, milk
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Tomatoes are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
🍅 Tomatoes 🍅
- Because tomatoes have seeds and grow from a flowering plant, botanically they are considered to be fruits. Yet, nutritionally and legally tomatoes are considered to be veggies.
- Tomatoes are often red but can also be pink, yellow, purple or more!
- China is the largest producer of tomatoes, and tomatoes are the state vegetable of New Jersey.
- Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Grilled Cheese Sandwich for Kids with Creamy Tomato Soup. Just hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
🍴Grilled Cheese Cutouts🍴
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.