Kids will love making this Grilled Cheese Sandwich for Kids with Creamy Tomato Soup! The 2 best parts?! Watching the soup ingredients blend together in a Vitamix and picking out the cookie cutters!
While your kids make this meal with you, pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: TOMATOES
🍅 food groups1 🍅
- Fruits: none
- Veggies: onion, garlic, tomatoes2 , carrots
- Grains: bread
- Protein: none
- Dairy: butter, cheese, milk
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Tomatoes are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
🍅 Tomatoes 🍅
- Because tomatoes have seeds and grow from a flowering plant, botanically they are considered to be fruits. Yet, nutritionally and legally tomatoes are considered to be veggies.
- Tomatoes are often red but can also be pink, yellow, purple or more!
- China is the largest producer of tomatoes, and tomatoes are the state vegetable of New Jersey.
- Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Grilled Cheese Sandwich for Kids with Creamy Tomato Soup. Just hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
If your kid complains about their eyes, have them wear goggles while chopping the onion!
Cook onion and garlic in pan*
Measure and combine ingredients in blender
For really little ones, measure the ingredients yourself and let them pour them into blender.
Kids will love seeing the ingredients blend into soup!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
🍴Grilled Cheese Cutouts🍴
Measure out about 1 T of butter per sandwich.
Add 2 slices of cheese to the bread
Grill sandwich until both sides are lightly browned*
Press a cookie cutter into your sandwich to form a shape
Pull scraps away from cookie cutter
Make sure the cookie cutter has gone all the way through the sandwich.
Check out your cool shapes!!
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.