Kids will love getting their hands messy to make the pizza dough! They will be sure to love choosing their pizza’s toppings too!
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s theme, PIZZA!
🍕 pizza 🍕
- It is believed that pizza was invented in Naples in the early 1500s.
- The first pizzeria in America was opened in New York City.
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in the United States.
- More pizza is consumed in the United States on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of year.
- To prepare a pizza’s dough, some pizza makers toss and spin the dough in the air. Tossing the dough helps form the dough’s round shape, retain the right amount of moisture, and create the pizza’s uniform crust.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Homemade Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To make the pizza dough, kids can:
Set oven temp
This is a great opportunity to talk to kids about what heat does to food at different temperatures.
Measure and whisk together water, honey and yeast
It's cool to see the mixture get frothy after a few mins.
Combine dough ingredients into a ball
Kids will love getting their hands messy!
Roll out the dough
Let kids decide if they want to form a circle, square, or uneven blob!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To dress the pizza, kids can:
Measure/combine sauce ingredients & spread onto dough
Kids can decide how much sauce to put on their pizza.
Add pizza toppings
Kids can arrange the toppings in whatever creative ways they want!
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.