For my kids, this meal was all about the cheese: measuring the cheese, tasting it…and watching it melt into the sauce. My kids would have been quite happy making a meal out of the cheese itself.
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: parmesan cheese.
- Parmigiano-Reggiano (aka parmesan) is named after a few of the Italian provinces where it’s produced (Parma & Reggio Emilia).
- Parmesan is made from the milk of grass-fed cows.
- Parmesan is rich in calcium, a mineral that helps our bones & teeth grow.
- As parmesan ages, it develops its rich and unique flavor. Most parmesan cheese wheels are aged for an average of 24 months.
- Parmesan wheels contain a protective outer coat called rind which helps keep out mold as the cheese ages.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Homestyle Chicken & Pasta. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To prepare the pasta, kids can:
SET TIMER FOR PASTA
Grown-ups can teach kids how to use a timer for cooking.
Let kids decide if the pasta is done. Hungry toddlers love this job!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To help make the chicken, kids can:
POUR ONION AND GARLIC INTO PAN
Monitor chicken as it cooks *
Grown-ups can explain how to check whether chicken is fully cooked.
🍴veggies & sauce🍴
To make the vegetable/chicken/sauce mixture, kids can:
Measure and add stock, sour cream, milk, & cheese to the pan
This is a fun and simple task for toddlers.
POUR & MIX FROZEN VEGGIES INTO PAN
Kids may enjoy seeing how the veggies add color to the mix.
Let your kids measure the spices, mix them together in a small bowl and then sprinkle onto the pan mixture.
ADD WATER/CORNSTARCH MIXTURE TO PAN
Grown-ups can explain how cornstarch can thicken the sauce.
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.