For my kids, this meal was all about the cheese: measuring the cheese, tasting it…and watching it melt into the sauce. My kids would have been quite happy making a meal out of the cheese itself.
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: parmesan cheese.
- Parmigiano-Reggiano (aka parmesan) is named after a few of the Italian provinces where it’s produced (Parma & Reggio Emilia).
- Parmesan is made from the milk of grass-fed cows.
- Parmesan is rich in calcium, a mineral that helps our bones & teeth grow.
- As parmesan ages, it develops its rich and unique flavor. Most parmesan cheese wheels are aged for an average of 24 months.
- Parmesan wheels contain a protective outer coat called rind which helps keep out mold as the cheese ages.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Homestyle Chicken & Pasta. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To prepare the pasta, kids can:
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To help make the chicken, kids can:
🍴veggies & sauce🍴
To make the vegetable/chicken/sauce mixture, kids can:
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.