Our kids were amped to help out with this homemade romesco sauce and quinoa bowl! Because of all the veggie prep and blending, there are tons of easy ways to help.
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: BELL PEPPER
🍴 food groups1 🍴
- Fruits: lemon
- Veggies: broccoli, cucumber, carrot, garlic, red pepper, black beans2
- Grains: quinoa3
- Protein: almonds, black beans2
- Dairy: none
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Beans are so nutritious that they’re classified as both a vegetable AND a protein.
3Quinoa is classified as a grain by the USDA, but technically it’s a seed and therefore, super high in protein.
🍴 Bell Pepper 🍴
- Bell peppers are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
- Bell peppers are native to Central and South America.
- You can eat bell peppers cooked or raw. The peppers are usually red, yellow, green or orange.
- Bell peppers contain important vitamins, like vitamin A and vitamin C, and they offer a number of health benefits.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Quinoa Veggie Bowl with Romesco Sauce. Just hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To make this homemade romesco sauce, kids may:
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To prep the veggies, kids may:
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.