There are tons of ways for kids to get involved with preparing this dish. The kids loved preparing the garlic bread and couldn't stop snacking on the shredded parmesan cheese. They also loved watching the scallops transform to a golden brown.
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal's featured ingredient: SCALLOPS
- Scallops are thick, disc-shaped animals that live in hinged shells. Their shells help protect them from their surroundings.
- Scallops swim by quickly opening and closing their shells to propel themselves forward.
- The sea creatures can have up to 100 eyes around the edges of their shells which they use to detect motion and light.
- Scallops live deep in the ocean in the muddy seafloor.
- They are high in protein and and contain important minerals and vitamins.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Seared Scallops with Summer Veggies & Garlic Bread. Simply hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To help prepare the garlic bread, kids can:
We use this Pyrex Measuring Cup to melt the butter.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To prepare the veggies, kids may:
We recommend these safety snippers for trimming the green beans. For chopping the zucchini, we are totally excited about these FOUR KIDS KNIVES that we reviewed in a recent post. The knife pictured above is a Curious Chef kids-safe knife.
To prepare the scallops, kids may:
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.