[Originally posted on 6/1/18]
This is a simple recipe that can involve the whole family. My son loved juicing the lemon, and my kids were super interested in helping slice the tomatoes. Some of the tasks involved are not easy for little hands, but we found our kids had the focus and precision to work at it!
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: ASPARAGUS
- Fruits: lemon
- Veggies: asparagus, garlic, tomatoes2, arugula
- Grains: pasta
- Protein: prosciutto
- Dairy: cheese, milk
- Asparagus is rich in vitamins, like folate, which helps keep our blood healthy.
- Asparagus is usually greenish-purplish but can also be white.
- It takes three years for asparagus to grow until it’s ready to be harvested.
- China and Peru are some of the top asparagus-producing countries in the world.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Summer Asparagus Pasta. Simply hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To help cook the pasta, kids can:
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To prepare the asparagus, kids may:
We use these Kitchen Shears.
🍴summer asparagus Pasta Mixture🍴
To prepare the final dish, kids can:
This Deiss PRO dual zester-grater was perfect for zesting the lemon.
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.