Between measuring out spices and chopping the veggies, there is a ton kids can do to help make this dish. They may especially enjoy adding the colorful toppings to the taco bowls!
While your kids are helping out, you can also pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: Rice.
- Fruit: none
- Veggies: garlic, onion, black beans2, corn, tomatoes3, avocados4, cilantro
- Grains: rice
- Protein: turkey, black beans2
- Dairy: cheese, sour cream
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Beans are so nutritious that they’re classified as both a vegetable AND a protein.
3Tomatoes are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies.
4Because of its seed, an avocado is considered a fruit by botanists. But the USDA considers avocados to be veggies, based on their nutrients.
- Rice is the seed of swamp grass and is harvested from the Oryza sativa or Oryza glaberrima plant.
- Asia produces and consumes over 90% of the world’s rice.
- There are more than 40,000 different types of rices.
- Rice is a good source of carbohydrates, which give our body energy.
- Brown rice is considered a whole grain and contains extra protein and fiber. For this reason, brown rice provides greater health benefits than white rice.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Tangy Turkey Taco Bowl. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
To prepare the turkey, kids can:
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
To help prepare the rice, kids can:
To put together the toppings, kids can:
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.