Between chopping, measuring and blending, there are tons of ways for kids to help with our Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. My daughter demanded to wear goggles to protect her eyes from evil onion gases (even though shallots produce much less of the enzyme that makes people’s eyes tear up). Lol!
While your kids make this meal with you, pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient: BUTTERNUT SQUASH
🍴Butternut Squash 🍴
- Butternut squash is an orange winter squash that is grown in the summer and harvested in the fall.
- Butternut squash is a nutrient-dense food. It’s rich in Vitamin A, which we need for healthy vision, bones, teeth and skin.
- Butternut squash is known for its sweet and nutty flavor.
- Although botanically butternut squash is considered a fruit (since it has seeds and develops from the flower-producing part of a plant), it is cooked as a vegetable.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. Just hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
This is a great chance to explain measurements. 8 cups = 64 oz = 4pt = 2 qt = 1/2 gallon. Compare the amount of liquid to beverages in your fridge.
BRING BROTH TO A BOIL
This teaches kids to pay attention to the stovetop and see what happens to liquid when it gets that hot. Yay science!
SCOOP OUT THE SQUASH SEEDS
After an adult has cut the squash in half, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and guts from each side.
CUT THE SQUASH*
This proved to be a hard task for my youngest because the squash is so hard. But let them give it a try.
CHOP THE SHALLOT*
MELT THE BUTTER
In a medium pan, melt the butter, helping it along with a long wooden spoon/spatula.
PUT EVERYTHING IN THE BLENDER
BLEND AWAY, BABY!
- We used this 4-cup Pyrex Measuring Cup to measure/pour the broth.
- For chopping, our fave kids knives right now are: Opinel Knife, Made for Me Beginner’s Knife, & Curious Chef Knife Set (pictured above).
- It’s good to have a long wooden spatula, like this OXO Wooden Turner, to keep little hands away from splattering butter.
- Finally, as always, we’re obsessed with Vitamix for doing everything.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.