Between chopping, measuring and blending, there are tons of ways for kids to help with our Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. My daughter demanded to wear goggles to protect her eyes from evil onion gases (even though shallots produce much less of the enzyme that makes people's eyes tear up). Lol!
While your kids make this meal with you, pause to discuss which FOOD GROUP each ingredient belongs to and share some fun facts about this meal's featured ingredient: BUTTERNUT SQUASH
🍴Butternut Squash 🍴
- Butternut squash is an orange winter squash that is grown in the summer and harvested in the fall.
- Butternut squash is a nutrient-dense food. It's rich in Vitamin A, which we need for healthy vision, bones, teeth and skin.
- Butternut squash is known for its sweet and nutty flavor.
- Although botanically butternut squash is considered a fruit (since it has seeds and develops from the flower-producing part of a plant), it is cooked as a vegetable.
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. Just hover over each image for details. And make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
- We used this 4-cup Pyrex Measuring Cup to measure/pour the broth.
- For chopping, our fave kids knives right now are: Opinel Knife, Made for Me Beginner’s Knife, & Curious Chef Knife Set (pictured above).
- It's good to have a long wooden spatula, like this OXO Wooden Turner, to keep little hands away from splattering butter.
- Finally, as always, we're obsessed with Vitamix for doing everything.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.