Kids can really get on board with helping make this three bean salad! All they really need is some help opening cans and instruction on how to chop different veggies. And the rest is totally doable. On top of all of that: no cooking involved!
Here are some creative ways for your kid to be your personal Sous Chef as you make our Three Bean Salad. Simply hover over each image for details. Make sure your little dudes wash their hands before starting!
- Fruit: lime juice
- Veggies: kidney beans, garbanzo beans, black beans2, corn, red bell peppers, cucumber, shallot, avocado3
- Grains: none
- Protein: kidney beans, garbanzo beans, black beans2
- Dairy: none
1For information about food and health, go to ChooseMyPlate.gov.
2Beans are so nutritious that they’re classified as both a vegetable AND a protein.
3Because of its seed, an avocado is considered a fruit by botanists. But the USDA considers avocados to be veggies, based on their nutrients.
- Kidney beans are a good source of fiber and are high in protein.
- The beans are shaped like kidneys. Because they hold their shape when cooked, they work great in simmered dishes.
- Kidney beans may have originated in Peru.
- Eating raw kidney beans can be toxic. Kidney beans must be fully boiled or properly cooked before eating. More information on the toxicity of raw kidney beans can be found here.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
🍴Three Bean Salad🍴
To help out, kids can:
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.