Fall is in the Air
With the temperature cooling down, it only seems natural to pull out a favorite fall recipe: Classic Beef Stroganoff! While we usually make this dish in the slow cooker, we decided to modify our recipe and make this stroganoff stovetop in under 28 minutes. Surprisingly, it was just as delicious as the slow cooker version!
The Beauty of Pre-Sliced Ingredients
The biggest challenge with this dish will definitely be the time it takes to prep ingredients. But we bought beef sirloin and asked our grocery store butcher to slice this meat for us. This saved us so much prep time and I highly recommend it! If you buy the meat pre-packaged, see if there is an option for thinly sliced sirloin. Some grocers have that. We also bought pre-sliced mushrooms. So, in the end, the only prep we did was chopping the onion and mincing the garlic.
As you can see from the photos, my daughter wanted us to be "superhero chefs" while we made dinner. She dressed as Batman, and I as Iron Man. I'm always glad for her to channel her creativity into something productive! After all, if superheroes can save the world, they can surely make a yummy dinner too!
🌈 KIDIFY THE MEAL 🌈
🍅Plain mushrooms on the side! If your kids don't like mushrooms in a sauce, set aside some plain mushrooms before mixing them into the sauce.
🍅Kids choose the pasta. Instead of egg noodles, let kids pick the dish's pasta or grain. The base is really just a vehicle for the delicious sauce. Lol!
🍅Sauce on the side. If kids don't want their noodles and sauce mixing together, serve the beef and sauce on the side
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Classic Beef Stroganoff
- 4 t salt
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 3 T butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lb mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 t pepper
- 1.5 lbs sirloin steak (sliced thin into 1/4" pieces, cut along the grain of the meat)
- 4 T flour
- 2 cups hot water (take this water from the pasta pot)
- 1 T better than bouillon beef base
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T smoked paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- fresh chives (chopped, optional)
- In stock pot, heat water for pasta. Add 1 t of the salt to water. Once boiling, add pasta and cook according to package. Once noodles are done, set aside 2 cups hot water for your sauce, drain and set noodles aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large pan on medium-high heat. Once butter has melted, add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, the remaining 3 t (1 T) of the salt, and the pepper. Saute for 5-7 mins, stirring regularly.
- Add the beef and flour to the pan. Whisk until well mixed into the veggies. Keep stirring constantly, for at least 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the hot water, beef base, worcestershire sauce, and smoked paprika. Slowly add the broth mixture to the pan and simmer beef mixture together for 5 minutes. As a final step, fold in the sour cream and stir/whisk until evenly distributed, until it's as thick as you like.
- Scoop beef mixture on top of noodles, and sprinkle with fresh chives.
Choose an Activity