Sausage Orzo Soup with Kale
Warm up on a chilly day with our super flavorful Sausage Orzo Soup! Healthy, hearty and fast. Bonus: this recipe makes killer leftovers!
- 48 ounce chicken broth/stock
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup whole kernel, yellow corn (frozen or canned/drained)
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes
- ½ Tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 - 2 Tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic (or 1 tsp)
- 1 pound mild Italian pork sausage, ground
- 1 ½ cups orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups kale, stalks removed & chopped
- shredded parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- 1 loaf garlic bread (optional)
Pour chicken stock into a 5 qt pot (my fave pot!). Add chopped carrots, corn, diced tomatoes, thyme, oregano, and cumin. Bring the soup mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. While the soup is cooking, heat oil in medium-large pan (my absolute fave!) at medium heat. Add onion and celery to pan and cook for two minutes.
Stir in garlic, and then add sausage. Cook the sausage until it’s no longer pink, breaking it up into smaller chunks as it cooks.
Add the pan contents to the boiling soup mixture. Add orzo and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Five minutes before you're ready to serve soup, add kale to pot & stir. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve.
- Recommended sides: garlic bread or small salad.
- To prevent the orzo from soaking up the broth, simply cook the pasta separately.
- Chop veggies on the smaller side so they will cook faster.
- Use a Potato Masher to break up sausage as it cooks.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 499kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1362mg | Potassium: 1002mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6000IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 5mg