I've always been fascinated by the beautiful and colorful "pop" of bell peppers. So, what better way to celebrate this awesome vegetable than by making our own 3D paper craft: Pop-up Peppers?!
The Beauty of 3D Paper Art
It's amazing how with a little bit of effort, you can make your artwork pop off the paper, giving it a beautiful 3D effect. Kids will love the look and feel of their unique works of art.
Our Bell Pepper 3D paper craft was inspired by these adorable 3D Paper Apples by Krokotak. In our research, we also found tons of other cool 3D art projects for kids, like these 3D Paper Apple Trees, this Simple 3D Rainbow Craft, and this Butterfly Template to make beautiful 3D butterflies.
A Kid-Friendly 3D Paper Craft
We love easy paper crafts for kids, and this craft is especially stunning. It's surprisingly simple to make the peppers pop using strips of paper, and you can really do it for any round-shaped fruit or veggie.
This paper peppers activity does require a certain amount of precision. So, grown-ups might be on the hook to help with some of the steps. This would also be a great activity for older siblings to help by leading the way.
Learn About Bell Peppers
While crafting, you and your kids might want to take a moment to learn some fun facts about bell peppers:
- Bell peppers are classified by botanists as fruit, but nutritionally and legally they are considered veggies
- Bell peppers are native to Central and South America.
- You can eat bell peppers cooked or raw. The peppers are usually red, yellow, green or orange.
- Bell peppers contain important vitamins, like vitamin A and vitamin C, and they offer a number of health benefits.
Note: This post contains affiliate links
Ingredient: Bell Peppers
Skills supported: Fine motor (tracing, cutting, taping/gluing), math (counting, composing shapes), following instructions
- Red, yellow, green, and/or orange paper for bell peppers
- Green paper for pepper's stem
- Glue or Tape
- Pen or pencil
Consider setting up the 3D paper craft before cooking so that your kids can get to work right away.
- Trace and cut out shape of bell pepper (without a stem)
- *Cut out four 1" strips of paper. Bend the edges upwards.
- Glue or tape the folded edges of each strip to the pepper to create two X's, laying on top of each other as follows:
- *Trace and cut out the pepper's stem and glue to top of pepper.
- Display your colorful 3D paper craft!
*For toddlers especially, these tasks may require adult supervision and/or assistance.