Much like the rest of the world, we have been spending a LOT of time at home recently. To keep things interesting, we have been doing some fun themed dinners! Last night my husband made sushi for the very first time, and a few nights earlier, we made these tasty chicken fajitas!
One pan dishes never fail!
Life is way easier when you only have one pan to clean! Other than prepping the veggies and chicken, everything happens in one, single pan for this chicken fajitas recipe.
First, we seasoned and cooked the chicken.
Then, we added in the chopped veggies.
As a final step, we added in lemon juice and tomato paste. Then our chicken fajitas were ready to assemble! Easy-peasy!
We love bell peppers!
The main veggies in this dish are bell peppers, our fave! Not only are bell peppers delicious and nutritious, but they also add such beautiful colors to our meal! And you may be surprised to know that while bell peppers are nutritionally considered veggies, they are actually classified by botanists as fruits because of their seeds.
Learn more about bell peppers and invite kids to make these adorable Pop-Up Peppers craft. Note: Our bell pepper craft has a section devoted to sharing some cool bell pepper facts, so make sure to check those out!
Make a chicken fajita decorating station!
If your kids are anything like ours, they love making choices and deciding how their food should look! We set up a chicken fajita decorating station and laid out small bowls for our favorite fajita toppings: shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, and cilantro.
Use this time to cook with your kids!
We love cooking as a family, and now seems a better time than ever to invite kids to help out in the kitchen (assuming everyone is healthy and properly washing their hands!). Not only will cooking together help pass the time, but cooking with your kids has some real educational benefits, like boosting self-esteem and fostering healthy eating habits.
How kids can help make these Chicken Fajitas:
This dish involves many kid-friendly tasks. Here are some ways for your lil' sous chefs to help out:
- Your kids can use one of these awesome kids' knives to cut the onion and peppers. If your kids wear swimming goggles, the onion won't make their eyes tear up. Plus, it's fun!
- Measuring! Measuring out the spices is a huge component of this meal's prep, so there will be plenty measuring for kids to do.
- Assemble fajitas! We recommend setting up a fajita station so that kids can decorate their fajitas as desired. Consider letting them assemble yours as well (with your input, of course).
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Final Tips To ensure smooth sailing!
One Pan Quick and Tasty Chicken Fajitas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T salt
- 1 T ground cumin
- 2 t black pepper
- 1 t paprika
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 to 3 T olive oil
- 1/2 onion, cut into strips or chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips or chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips or chunks
- 1 T tomato paste
- 3 T lemon juice
- 6 tortillas
- Combine garlic and dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Slice chicken into small chunks or strips and coat all sides with seasoning. Heat a medium-large frying pan, and once heated, add oil and chicken. Cook on high for 5 mins, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies into chunks or strips. Add veggies to the chicken, lower heat a bit, stir, and cover. Cook covered for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.
- Uncover, add tomato paste and lemon juice, and cook uncovered for another 3 mins. Remove pan from heat. Scoop fajita mix onto tortillas and decorate with your fave toppings.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. While we are not certified nutritionists, we work with a Wordpress-integrated nutrition API to calculate our recipes' ingredient values.
What Can Kids do While Grown-ups Cook?
Craft for this Recipe:
Pop-Up Paper Peppers! Celebrate the remarkable color of your meal's bell peppers with this Pop-Up Paper Peppers Craft! Your kids can make these pop-up peppers while you prepare our One Pan Quick & Easy Fajitas! You probably already have all the supplies in your home!