Friends and fellow parents - I'm here to remind you that Teacher Appreciation Week is here! And we have some cute DIY crafty gifts your kids can make for their teachers. Actually, this month of May is also School Principals' Day, National Lunch Hero Day and School Nurse Day. So, if there was any month to celebrate school personnel, this is it!
Folks, I know that specific days dedicated to the celebration of something or someone can sometimes seem trite or forced. Like, for instance, why do we need one day a year to celebrate our love for our partners (Valentine's Day) when we should be expressing it regularly? But honestly, we're busy, we're absent-minded, and life zips by so fast. I'm happy we have a Teacher Appreciation Week because it makes me really think about all the work and care that goes into educating our kids. Teachers are so special, and also underpaid and underrecognized. I mean, shouldn't teaching (aka shaping the future of our civilization) be one of the highest paid professions in the country?! While we can't buy all our teachers a car and a much needed vacation, we can encourage our kids to show their appreciation through thoughtful crafting...gifts made creatively with their own hands.
📆 May 2023 School Celebration Dates
Folks, May is a busy month! Check out all the school personnel being acknowledged in May!
- May 1st - School Principals' Day
- May 2nd - National Teacher Appreciation Day
- May 5th - National School Lunch Hero Day
- May 8-12th - National Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 10th - National School Nurse Day
🚌 Other School Appreciation Dates
There are actually many dates every year dedicated to important school personnel. For future reference, check out these important dates (and click on the links for fun facts too):
- February - Love the Bus Month
- February (1st full school week) - National School Counselor Week
- February 22nd - National School Bus Driver Appreciation Day
- April 4th - National School Librarian Day
- April (4th Tuesday) - School Bus Drivers Day
- April 26th - Administrative Professionals Day
- October 2nd - Custodian Appreciation Day
- October 6th - National Coach Day
- November (Friday of American Education Week) - Substitute Educators Day
- December 2nd - Special Education Day
🤔 Tips Before You Craft
- Ask your teacher what their favorite color is. You can dig deeper and find out their favorite food, drink, place to shop, hobbies, etc.
- Find out your school's rules on gift giving [e.g. dollar amount caps or rules against food gifts].
- Plan ahead so your kiddo isn't rushed to make something.
🖍 5 DIY Teacher Appreciation Gifts
Here are some creative ways your kids can celebrate their teachers.
1. Tissue Paper Vase for Flowers
It's hard to go wrong with flowers, right?! For this craft, all you need is flowers, a recycled jar or bottle, and some basic craft supplies.
2. Melting Crayons into Shapes
If you plan ahead, you could really make this a personalized gift for your teacher! Use their favorite colors and you can even find silicone molds for shapes they like.
3. Craft with Dyed Pasta
Make a picture or a card for your teacher, using dyed pasta!
4. DIY Pencil Holders
Make a little holder for any kind of school supplies. Personalize it with your teacher's name!
5. Cute DIY Cardboard Frame
Frame a picture, note or even a book quote for your teacher.
🙏 Other Ways to Show Appreciation
- Send flowers
- Give your teacher a plant with a note saying "Thanks for helping me grow!"
- Write a note for your teacher using these cute teacher note templates from Kids Activities Blog
- Another tin can pencil holder craft using beads
- Gift cards to your teacher's favorite places
- Popcorn craft for a "pop-ular teacher"
Follow Platein28 on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook and Sign up for our newsletter for all the latest recipes and crafts!
➡️ Fun Crafts to Try!
Want more 28-minute recipes and crafts? Sign up and get recipes straight to your inbox!
Leave a Reply