Our family usually has "taco night" once a week. This is a favorite meal for my kiddos, because they love choosing the toppings for their tacos. To change things up this week, we decided to make a turkey taco bowl instead of a traditional taco. Our kids can still choose their toppings for their turkey taco bowl, but we use rice as a base instead of the standard taco shells or tortillas.
Customize your Turkey Taco Bowl!
This turkey taco bowl is quick, easy and highly customizable. You can vary up the toppings, use brown or white rice, and select your meat based on your family's likes/dislikes. We've made our taco bowls with both ground turkey and ground chicken.
I was worried this dish might feel too spicy for our kiddos. Surprisingly, they ate it up and didn't have any complaints! Although it calls for lots of spices, the final product is truly quite mild.
🌈 KIDIFY THE MEAL 🌈
🍅Ditch the fork! If it's not gonna mess with your table manners education efforts too much (haha), let your kids scoop up their bowl bites with Fritos Scoops! Corn Chips (not getting paid by Fritos, lol). In the absence of a taco shell, these chips work really well with the dish. And kids will have a blast eating dinner in a permissibly irreverent way, for a change 🙂
🍅Tone down some of the spices if your kids are really spice-averse, i.e. less chili powder, red pepper flakes, etc.
🍅Customize your veggies! Our kids love corn, so we added extra to our dish!
🍅Swap your meat. You can make this dish with any kind of ground meat: beef, turkey or chicken.
🍴 MODIFY THE MEAL🍴
🍅Make it Vegan! Replace the meat with pea protein crumbles. I'm a huge fan of Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles. I've used them for years to make vegetarian chili and it is soooo delicious. I'm definitely a meat eater and I can't tell the difference. Worth noting is that these crumbles are high in protein and also gluten-free. Also, instead of chicken stock/broth, use vegetable stock/broth. Obviously use whichever brand you like, but we highly recommend our fave: Better than Bouillon. Finally, eliminate the cheese and sour cream. Duh 🙂 You can add in more corn and/or avocado for extra flavor.
🍅Make it Vegetarian! Replace the meat and broth/stock, as stated above.
🍅Make it Dairy Free! Simply eliminate the cheese and sour cream from the recipe. You can add in more corn and/or avocado for extra flavor.
Tangy Turkey Taco Bowl
Turkey Mixture & Rice
- 1 T olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper (or less, for a milder taste)
- 1 T chili powder (or less, for a milder taste)
- 1/2 t cumin (ground)
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t paprika
- 1/4 t dried oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- 1 cup canned black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups Instant Rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced)
- 1 avocado (chopped or sliced)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 T cilantro (chopped)
- hot sauce (optional)
- Fritos corn chips (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium-large pan (my absolute fave!). Add garlic and onion, and cook for 2-3 mins, until softened. Add ground turkey and mix all together. Season with salt & pepper. Break turkey into smaller pieces as it cooks, cooking until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add remaining seasonings (chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika & oregano) to turkey and cook together for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add beans and corn. Lower the temperature, cover, and simmer for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the instant rice according to instructions on box.