This Valentine's Day, why not skip the fondue and steak dinners and heavy Italian fare? Maybe do something 💗heart healthy 💗 and check out our Sweet Potato, Kale & Feta Wrap. You can't beat the combined, nutritional value of the sweet potato/kale/pumpkin seed mix. And feta cheese is lower in calories and fat than almost all other cheeses. On top of all of this, the wrap is vegetarian!
This sweet potato wrap is definitely ideal for lunch. You can eat it whole or cut it in half. You can have the wrap cold or warm it up. However, you can totally make this work for dinner. Pair the wrap with your choice of sides. Or serve all the contents of the wrap on their own, without the tortilla. Feel free to be creative. You may have to tweak this a bunch anyway because, with kids, I know this wrap is not an easy sell. Check out the 'Kidify' tips below.
🌈 KIDIFY THE MEAL 🌈
🍅Let kids pick their own side dish! Let your kids pick a fruit, type of chip or other side dish to go with their wrap.
🍅Separate everything. I know this sounds like a lot. But if it increases your kids' chance of eating their meal, separate out the sweet potatoes, kale, and pumpkin seeds. Our kids loved munching on the pumpkin seeds!
🍅Make kids a grilled cheese quesadilla and serve the sweet potatoes, kale, and pumpkin seeds as side dishes.
🍴 MODIFY THE MEAL🍴
🍅Make it Vegan! All you have to do is take out the feta. The only problem is that the feta provides a salty burst that perfectly cuts the sweetness of the potatoes. In its place, you could try the Violife Vegan feta cheese. My friend Corey swears by their brand!
🍅Make it Gluten Free! Switch out the flour tortillas for corn tortillas.
🍅Make it Dairy Free! (See 'Make it Vegan' above)
I found it easiest to assemble the sweet potato wraps all at once, rather than one at a time. If you have the counter space, just lay out all 6 tortillas and follow step 5 in the recipe instructions. This way you can also make sure your ingredients are evenly distributed and you can adjust as need be.
Sweet Potato, Feta & Kale Wrap
- Stab each sweet potato 4x with a fork. Place potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 10 mins (checking them halfway through). They are fully cooked when a fork will slide easily into them. Once done, place potatoes in a large bowl. Cut them cross-wise with a fork and knife, into smaller pieces. Then lightly mash them with a fork, leaving some chunks.
- Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds. Heat a medium-sized skillet on medium heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and cook for 3-5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin seeds are slightly browned. Place pumpkin seeds in a small bowl and mix together with 1/4 t of the salt and 1 t of the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the seasonings (black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, & paprika). Stir the seasoning mix and 1 T of the olive oil into the potato mash.
- Heat the same skillet on medium and add 1 T of the olive oil. Add the kale and 3/4 t of the salt. Mix together in the pan and cook the kale down for 2 mins, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and place into a bowl. Mix the seeds into the kale.
- Heat the same skillet on medium. Heat a tortilla for 1 minute on each side. To assemble the tortilla: Spread 1/3 cup of the sweet potatoes in the middle, top with some of kale/seed mix, & sprinkle with feta. Fold tortilla closed. Repeat 5 more times. This recipe makes 6 wraps.
- This is a super quick, great video on HOW TO fold up your wrap!
And look at my cute mom and sis taking a bite! Lol.