While making our delicious Vanilla and Cinnamon Pancakes, we decided to turn our meal into adorable and easy pancake shapes! We love 100% edible crafts and this is the perfect way for little ones to practice their emerging reading and writing skills!
Note: Some of the links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on an affiliate link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. However, we genuinely recommend all the products we link.
Easy Pancake Shapes for the Whole Family!
We used our recipe for Easy Vanilla and Cinnamon Pancakes to turn our dinner into craft-time. It took a couple of tries, but we discovered that forming pancake letters and shapes out of batter is quite easy. The trick is to form the numbers or letters backwards on the griddle, so that when you flip them over, they have a nice, brown finish.
Making the pancake batter for these pancake letters and shapes is super simple. Kids can take ownership of the measuring, pouring and mixing. Adults might want to step in when it comes to cooking/flipping the letter pancakes, but older kids can also take the lead with some supervision.
Other food crafts you may like
Special Occasions for Pancake Shapes
There are plenty of special occasions to make festive and easy pancake shapes! Below are a few ideas.
- Birthdays- Celebrate the birthday boy or girl by turning their pancake into their age!
- Holidays- Hearts for Valentine's Day, candy canes for Christmas, eggs for Easter...the possibilities are endless! We spelled out "2020" in honor of New Years Day last January.
- Mother's Day and Father's Day- Kids will love spelling out "Mom" or "Dad" in honor of their parents on their special days.
- Graduations, anniversaries and more!- Celebrate the GRAD, wedding dates or any other special occasion with pancake shapes.
How to Make Easy Pancake Shapes
Notes on supplies:
- Using a squeeze bottle to pour your batter into shapes gives you the most control over the batter. We used an empty and cleaned honey squeeze jar, but a Ketchup bottle would also work! If you don't have a squeeze bottle, you can also use a Pyrex Measuring Cup to gently pour the batter in its desired shape.
Step 1: Make your Batter
We used our Easy Vanilla and Cinnamon Pancakes recipe to make the batter.
Step 2: Form your Shapes
Using a squeeze bottle to pour your batter into shapes gives you the most control over the batter. You can also use a Pyrex Measuring Cup to gently pour the batter in its desired shape.
Step 3: Flip Pancake Shapes
After 1-2 minutes, flip letter over and cook another minute or until browned.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Write letters and numbers BACKWARDS on the griddle. That way, when they are flipped over, your numbers will have a nice brown surface and face the right direction.
- Use TWO spatulas simultaneously to flip shapes. Depending on the size of your shapes, a single spatula might not be big enough to lift the full letter.
Easy Pancake Shapes
- Large bowl
- medium-large griddle
- Measuring cup with lip/spout like a Pyrex Measuring Cup OR a squeeze bottle
- Heat butter on a medium-large griddle pan at medium heat. Use a spouted measuring cup to pour batter onto heated griddle in shape of desired letter, number or shape.* For more control over your batter, use some sort of squeeze bottle. We used an empty and cleaned honey container!
- After 1-2 minutes (or until bubbles form and start to pop), flip letter over and cook another minute or until browned.* Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy your creative treat!
- Write letters and numbers BACKWARDS on the griddle.
- Flip shapes once bubbles appear and begin to pop in batter.