It JUST started getting colder here in Portland. For me, that means soup season! I just made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup last week cause my kids were sick, and it really got me in the mood for more soup. This Potato Leek soup really fits the bill. Warm, thick, comforting. And...drumroll please...my kids really loved it!
This is a great dish for fall because it embraces root veggies. Well, leeks are technically not a root vegetable, but I feel like we all lump them in with the seasonal, usual suspects: potatoes, radishes, carrots, etc.
And the greatest thing about this Potato Leek Soup is that you get to throw everything in a blender at the end. Honestly, thats the fun part. You don't have to worry about chopping/slicing anything perfectly cause it's all gonna hit the blades anyway! Lol.
🌈 KIDIFY THE MEAL 🌈
🍅Bread! Definitely serve this soup with bread for dipping. As long as your kids don't only eat the bread for dinner, it can be a great vehicle for the soup 🙂
🍅Bacon! As a side dish, we made brussels spouts with bacon pieces. It was fun and pretty delicious to sprinkle the bacon pieces on top of the soup. I'm not assuming you just have bacon lying around, but just saying that it's possible to get creative with garnishing this soup.
🍴 MODIFY THE MEAL🍴
🍅Make it Dairy Free! Not to state the obvious, but eliminate the cream and butter. Coconut milk is the perfect substitute for cream. As far as the butter goes, I would replace it with 2 T of either olive oil, coconut oil, or Earth Balance.
🍅Make it Vegan! See above regarding the butter and cream. And make sure your vegetable base is vegan. I absolutely love this Better than Bouillon brand.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Potato Leek Soup
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t thyme (dried)
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 4 russet potatoes (peeled, cut into 1 or 2" pieces)
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks (sliced & rinsed, not including dark green tips)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped, save the leaves)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or chopped)
- 1/2 cup cream
- In a stock pot, bring broth to a boil. Then add spices and potatoes, and boil for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet on medium and add butter. When butter has melted, add leeks, celery and garlic. Cook for 5-7 mins. Then add veggies to the boiling pot of potatoes.
- Once the 20 min boil is up, pull out the bay leaves, and blend all the ingredients together. Either keep everything in the pot and use an immersion blender until well incorporated OR put several batches in a blender/Vitamix until everything's been fully blended.
- When blended soup is back in the pot, add the cream, stir and serve. Place a few torn celery leaves on top of each bowl for garnish.
Choose an Activity