Our Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup is creamy, mouth-watering and sure to get you in the fall spirit! Even better it can be made in UNDER 30 minutes! So grab your Vitamix and let's go!
Note: Some of the links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on an affiliate link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. However, we genuinely recommend all the products we link.
Oh how we love our Vitamix!
Butternut Squash soup is simple to make from scratch with the help of our beloved Vitamix! I will say that the prepping of the squash can be time consuming...the deseeding, peeling and chopping. If you're willing to spend a bit more money, you can buy the squash precut, and that saves loads of time. Regardless, the whole recipe can be made in 28 minutes!
And the soup is totally doable without roasting squash in advance. In our case, we decided to boil the squash before blending in the Vitamix, which is way faster. When you boil it in veggie broth, it adds a flavor that makes for the best butternut squash soup! Then, simply combine ingredients in your Vitamix and blend in "soup" mode for a hot and creamy soup.
Classic Fall Flavors
What makes this soup so unique is the blend of sweet and savory flavors. Butternut squash is naturally sweet, and the brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon truly compliment the classic fall flavor of butternut squash.
To find your perfect balance of sweet and savory, feel free to tweak the amount of sugar. Start with 2 or 3 T of brown sugar, blend, taste, and add more as needed. Increase or decrease salt and pepper to achieve your perfect balance of sweet and salty.
IS BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP HEALTHY?
Not only is butternut squash soup extremely tasty, but it also has lots of health benefits! Butternut squash is packed with nutrients, like fiber and Vitamin A and C.
Kids will also get a healthy portion of veggies when eating this meal. Although botanically butternut squash is considered a fruit (since it has seeds and develops from the flower-producing part of a plant), it is prepared and served as a vegetable.
To make this recipe even healthier, consider limiting the amount of sugar and cream you add to your soup.
WHAT CAN YOU SERVE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP?
While our Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup is definitely hearty enough on its own, you might want to pair your soup with a side dish. Check out these options:
BREAD- A French baguette or Pillsbury Biscuit Grands would work great as a side dish and for dipping!
ROASTED VEGGIES AND/OR SIDE SALAD- Glazed carrots or a potato side dish would be a tasty addition to this meal! A light and refreshing salad would also do the trick.
A SANDWICH OR PANINI- If you'd prefer your soup to be a side dish, consider pairing it with a simple wrap or sandwich, like our Sweet Potato, Kale & Feta Wrap or our Crispy Tomato, Pesto & Mozzarella Panini.
How to make this recipe
To make our creamy Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup, you'll need 12 simple ingredients:
- Butternut squash- It will cost extra, but buying pre-cut squash will save a lot of time.
- Vegetable broth- This gives the broth a nice, rich flavor and keeps the dish vegetarian.
- Butter-1 T of butter can be used to cook the shallot and garlic.
- Shallot and garlic- These veggies add so much flavor to the soup. If you are in a pinch, jarred minced garlic may be used instead of fresh.
- Brown sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon- These ingredients truly compliment the classic fall flavor of butternut squash.
- Sherry vinegar- This gives the soup a nutty and sweet flavor.
- Salt & pepper-Taste and adjust as needed.
- Cream- This will give the soup some added creaminess!
STEP 1: BRING BROTH TO A BOIL
We love Better than Bouillon, FYI!
🥄Kid Step: Measure broth. This is a great chance to explain measurements. 8 cups = 64 oz = 4pt = 2 qt = 1/2 gallon. Then, compare the amount of liquid to beverages in your fridge. We used this 4-cup Pyrex Measuring Cup to measure/pour the broth.
STEP 2: PREP AND COOK SQUASH
We recommend chopping squash into 1" cubes. Note: You can also buy the squash precut, and that saves loads of time.
🥄Kid Step: Scoop out the squash seeds. After an adult has cut the squash in half, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and guts from each side.
🥄Kid Step: Chop the squash*. This proved to be a hard task for my youngest because the squash is so hard. But let them give it a try. For chopping, our fave kids knives right now are: Opinel Knife, Made for Me Beginner’s Knife, & Curious Chef Knife Set (pictured below).
STEP 3: COOK VEGGIES
🥄 Kid Step: Melt butter in pan. In addition, use a long wooden spatula, like this OXO Wooden Turner, to keep little hands away from splattering butter.
STEP 4: BLEND INGREDIENTS IN VITAMIX AND ADD CREAM
Finally, blend away!!! And add cream once the soup is back in the pot.
🥄Kid Step: Blend! Kids will love watching the Vitamix transform ingredients into soup!
*Note: For toddlers especially, these tasks require adult supervision and/or assistance, as items may be sharp, hot or otherwise dangerous.
Other Vitamix Recipes
While roasting your squash may yield a sweet and rich flavor, it can be very time consuming. We recommend boiling your squash in vegetable broth, as it brings out the flavor and saves time.
You don't have to peel butternut squash before boiling it, as its skin is edible when cooked and provides color and nutrients to the soup.
Feel free to add fresh herbs for garnish (sage, rosemary, parsley). We put Oyster crackers on top of the soup. You can use other crackers, as well: for example, Ritz crackers or Keebler Clubhouse crackers or even croutons.
Squash is done boiling when it is soft in the center. Simply use a fork or pairing knife to assess the squash's tenderness.
Yes! The soup can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 5-7 days. Reheat in microwave or on the stove. The soup will also keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.
CUSTOMIZE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- Make it Vegan! (1) Make sure your veggie broth is vegan. This Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base is a great option. (2) Swap the cream for coconut milk. (3) Use cooking oil or a non-dairy butter, like Earth Balance, to cook the veggies.
- Make it Dairy Free! Same as above. Replace the cream with coconut milk, and then, use an oil or non-dairy butter to cook the veggies.
MODIFY FOR PICKY EATERS:
- Showcase the sugar! If your kids help you cook or are at least watching you cook, show them all the brown sugar that goes into the soup. It will interest them and increase the odds of soup consumption. Fact. Lol!
- Use a straw bowl! Sometimes, actually all the time, my kids are more excited to eat a soup when they can use their straw bowl. I bought mine for soooo cheap at the grocery store. And the same exact bowls are also on Amazon: see here. Just make sure they don't go crazy with the slurping.
- Add some carbs! As long as you monitor their intake (lol), kids will be more amped about the meal if it comes with crackers and/or bread. For example, we put Oyster crackers on top of the soup and had Pillsbury Biscuit Grands on the side. You can also crumble Ritz crackers or Keebler Clubhouse crackers on top of the soup, or even croutons. All work! [Of course, the meal will no longer be gluten free].
Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup
- Start heating broth in a large/5Qt pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, prepare the squash. Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and peel. [Leave the cutting & peeling to adults]. Chop squash into 1" cubes. Place squash in boiling broth and cook for 8 mins (or when squash is soft). When done, strain but save 2 cups of the broth for later.
- In a medium pan on medium heat, melt the butter and cook the shallot and garlic for about 5 mins.
- In your Vitamix or blender, add squash, 2 cups of the vegetable broth, cooked veggies, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Blend. Put mixture back in the large pot and stir in the cream. Scoop soup into bowls. Serve with crackers or croutons atop, and biscuits on the side.
- To save time, buy pre-cut squash.
- Squash is done boiling when it is soft in the center. Simply use a fork or pairing knife to assess the squash's tenderness.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. While we are not certified nutritionists, we work with a WordPress-integrated nutrition API to calculate our recipes' ingredient values.
CRAFT FOR THIS RECIPE
Felt Turkey Craft with Squash! Make an adorable felt turkey for the holidays! No carving, scooping, or big messes. All you need is squash, a few art supplies, and creativity!