Celebrate the warm weather with your adorable Paper Plate Sunflower craft! This easy sunflower craft is so simple and uses the most basic yet creative craft supplies: paper plates, Pom Poms and lasagna noodles!
Since we had some extra lasagna noodles leftover while making our One Pot Lasagna Soup, this sunflower craft seemed like the perfect way to use up our scraps while getting into the spring spirit!
Note: If you love paper plate crafts, be sure to also checkout our Paper Plate Watermelons and Paper Plate Seashells. And for fans of pasta crafts, be sure to see our post on how to dye pasta for crafts!
👍 Why We Love Paper Plate Sunflowers
A unique twist! There are tons of sunflower crafts out there. To change things up, we decided to put our own twist on a paper plate sunflower by using lasagna noodles for petals!
Simple supplies- The best part about this craft is that it requires supplies you may already have at home, like paper plates and pasta! And many of these items can be swapped for something else.
Perfect for gifts! These paper plate sunflowers make great gifts for family members, teachers or friends! This craft would especially make a great homemade Mother's Day gift. Kids can make several sunflowers and put them together as a bouquet for their mom or grandparent!
Fine motor skills- The cool part about this paper plate flower craft is that it provides a great opportunity for kids to practice their fine motor skills, like taping and gluing. It's a perfect sunflower craft for preschoolers or young children!
Notes on supplies:
- Paper plates-Small or medium and white. If you don't have paper plates, a round piece of cardboard would also work!
- Green pipe cleaners- Your can also use green construction paper to make your sunflower's stem.
- Pom Poms- Black and/or brown. If you don't have Pom Poms, use marker to draw the center of your sunflower
- Lasagna noodles- Broken in half or into thirds. We love crafting with food, but yellow construction paper can also be used to make your flower's petals.
📝 How to Make a Paper Plate Sunflower
1. Petals: Turn over your paper plate. Glue 6-8 fragments of lasagna noodles onto outer edges of the paper plate's inner circle.
2. Seeds: Glue several black or brown Pom Poms to the center of your plate.
3. Stem and leaves: Fold a pipe cleaner in half to form your stem. Bring the edges of a second pipe cleaner together to form your flower's leaves and twist together at the center. Wrap your leaves around your stem and glue to the back of your paper plate sunflower.
➡️ Extend the Activity
- Encourage kids to try eating real sunflower seeds or roast your own! They are delicious!
- Practice counting with younger children using extra Pom Poms or dry pasta.
- Make several paper plate sunflowers and create a garden or sunflower bouquet!
- Learn how to dye pasta to create collages or other fun pasta crafts!
There are tons of ways to make a paper plate sunflower! The biggest difference we see is in how the seeds are displayed. While we used Pom Poms for our seeds, I Heart Crafty Things uses bubble wrap and Resourceful Mama uses actual real sunflower seeds! The options are endless!
We think so! This is a great simple sunflower craft for young children. We simply recommend that grown-ups help with the hot glue gun. If preferred, Elmer's Glue or Tacky Glue may be used in place of a hot glue gun.
🧶 Other Paper Plate Crafts
Follow Platein28 on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook and Sign up for our newsletter for all the latest recipes and crafts!
🌻 Paper Plate Sunflower
- Paper plate white is ideal
- Hot glue gun
- 2-3 Uncooked lasagna noodles broken in half or into thirds
- 15-30 Pom Poms black and/or brown
- 2 Pipe cleaners green
- Form the Petals: Turn over your paper plate. Glue 6-8 fragments of lasagna noodles onto outer edges of the paper plate's inner circle.
- Add the Seeds: Glue several black or brown Pom Poms to the center of the plate.
- Add stem and leaves: Fold a pipe cleaner in half to form your stem. Bring the edges of a second pipe cleaner together to form your flower's leaves and twist together at the center. Wrap your leaves around your stem and glue to the back of your paper plate sunflower.
- If you don't have pipe cleaners, you can also use green construction paper to make your sunflower's stem.
- If you don't have Pom Poms, use marker to draw the center of your sunflower.
- If you don't have pasta, yellow construction paper can also be used to make your flower's petals
Want more 28-minute recipes and crafts? Sign up and get recipes straight to your inbox!
I love it when folks come together and share ideas.
Great site, stick with it!
Thanks for visiting, Shaun! -Julie