Of course, most egg crafts involve decorating hard boiled eggs. But here's a different way to use any eggs leftover from the The Easiest Sausage Frittata Recipe in a fun kids craft: painting with egg yolks!
Now, you know your kids. If your kid is prone to putting everything in his/her mouth, this is an unsafe craft. Consuming raw eggs can put a person at risk of salmonilla. However, if your kids are older or simply don't feel that annoying need to stick everything in their mouths, this is such a super fun and creative craft! To see if this craft is right for your kids, check out my blog entry.
And before you get started, you may want to pause to share some interesting facts about this meal's featured ingredient:
- Sketch simple drawings on a couple thick pieces of paper with a pen/pencil (maybe characters, animals, etc that your kids like). Older kids might want to do the sketches themselves.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites.*
- Place each egg yolk in a container.*
- Pour a generous drop of colored paint into each container of egg yolk and mix together. The more paint you add, the more vibrant the egg yolk paint will look.
- Kids can use paintbrushes or their fingers to paint on the sketched drawing.
Featured Ingredient: Egg Yolks
Skills supported: Fine motor (drawing, painting), following instructions
Consider setting up the craft before you start cooking so your kids can get to work right away.
Note: This craft involves the use of raw egg. Adult supervision is recommended for little ones. Explain that hands and brushes must be kept out of the mouth.
Note: *For toddlers especially, these tasks may require adult supervision and/or assistance.