Calling all lasagna lovers! Our One Pot Lasagna Soup has all the tastiness of lasagna in a creamy bowl of savory soup! Even better, it takes less than 30 minutes to make, and you'll only need to clean ONE pot!
Note: If you love lasagna, don't miss out on these amazing recipes: Italian Chicken Sausage Pasta, Turkey Spaghetti with Hidden Veggies, and Italian Sausage Soup with Orzo.
👌 Why this Recipe Works
A fun twist on a traditional dish- This has all the elements of traditional lasagna (ground meat, tomato sauce, noodles, cheese), but in a delicious, hot soup! Swap the oven for the stovetop!
ONE pot- You'll only need ONE pot for this soup. Minimal mess, minimal cleanup!
Cooks fast! Like all of our recipes, our One Pot Lasagna Soup can be made in 28 minutes or less!
Belly warming- On a cold or rainy day, this lasagna soup really hits the spot! Note: If you love meat and tomato based soups, you have to try our Italian Sausage Soup! Our for a lighter, vegetarian soup, try our Italian Vegetable White Bean Soup.
This may look like a lot, but I bet you have at least 50% of these at home already. I had 57% and yes, I calculated that because I'm a huge dork.
Notes on ingredients:
- Meat - We like turkey (it's healthier), but ground beef, chicken or sausage are also great options.
- Tomato sauce - We love Newman's Own Marinara or Rao's Homemade Marinara!
- Chicken broth/stock - Better than Bouillon Organic Roasted Chicken Base is a great option because it has great flavor, lasts a long time, creates less waste, and take up less room in your fridge.
- Lasagna noodles - Regular lasagna noodles are fine, but 'no boil' lasagna noodles will cook faster. Just be sure to break the uncooked noodles into thirds or even smaller.
- Optional: parsley makes a great garnish
🍅 How to Make Lasagna Soup
STEP 1: BROWN. Sauté onions and garlic and then add ground turkey, salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink. We recommend using a large pot or Dutch Oven.
🥄 Kids Step: Help chop onion! We recommend Curious Chef Knife Set, Opinel Knife, or Made for Me Beginner's Knife. Kids can also use this Calphalon Potato Masher (or any similar tool you like) to help break up the turkey as it cooks.
STEP 2: BOIL. Add remaining ingredients (except cheese), bring to a boil, and then add pasta.
🥄 Kids Step: Kids can use a Pyrex measuring cup to measure out broth.
STEP 3: ADD CHEESE. Finally, combine the cheeses and scoop cheese mixture onto each soup bowl.
🥄 Kids Step: Let kids do the scooping! This OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop is fun to use for the cheese. They will love watching the cheese melt into the soup.
✏️ Expert Tips and Tricks
- Chop onions finely for faster cooking.
- It's important to break the uncooked noodles into thirds or even smaller. The bigger they are, the harder it is to eat the soup without having to grab a fork or knife.
- To make this more soup-y, increase the broth. The soup is pretty thick due to the pasta absorbing the broth as it cooks. If you have leftovers, plan to add more broth because it will have been completely absorbed by then.
- For a healthier lasagna soup, cut amount of cheese in half. Honestly, the recipe calls for way more cheese than you'll need. We saved the excess for other dishes.
🍞 Side Suggestions
Garlic Bread- We love garlic bread! Pepperidge Farm is our fave, and it only takes 8-9 mins in the oven. The best part about having bread with your soup is the dipping!
Veggies- A simple garden salad pairs well with the soup! Our family's go-to sides are carrot sticks and sliced cucumbers with salad dressing as a dip.
Traditional lasagna noodles work best for lasagna soup. But you can use any pasta you'd like! To give our soup a true lasagna feel with a faster cooking time, we used 'no boil' lasagna noodles. If you prefer a smaller pasta, we also really like Mafalda noodles, which are like miniature lasagna noodles. Bow ties or fusilli would work nicely, as well.
Yes, you can cook the pasta IN your pot of soup! Just be sure to cook your pasta according to the instructions on its packaging. Overcooking pasta can lead to mushy noodles. 'No boil' lasagna noodles will cook fastest.
If you plan to make ahead and/or freeze your lasagna soup, we recommend making your pasta separately and at the time you plan to serve your soup.
Any kind of ground meat will work nicely in lasagna soup, including ground turkey, beef, chicken or sausage. You may vary your seasonings accordingly.
Yes, lasagna soup freezes nicely in an air tight container. Just be sure to freeze the soup and cheese mixture separately. We also recommend cooking your noodles separate from the soup if you plan to freeze your lasagna soup. That way, the noodles won't be mushy from having absorbed your soup's broth.
🧶 Craft for Your Kids While You Cook
Hold onto those extra lasagna noodles and learn How to Make Sunflowers with Paper Plates and Pasta. These DIY sunflowers make the best gifts or Spring decor!
🥄 More Soups You'll Love:
Follow Platein28 on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook and Sign up for our newsletter for all the latest recipes and crafts!
🥣 The Best One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Pound ground turkey
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ can chopped tomatoes with green chilies
- 24 ounce marinara sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken broth/stock
- 8 ounce 'no boil' lasagna noodles uncooked, broken into thirds
- 1 ¼ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 8 ounce ricotta cheese
- parsley [optional, for garnish]
- Heat a large pot (or dutch oven) to low-medium. Once heated, add olive oil and onion. Cook for 2-3 mins, stirring frequently. Then add garlic and cook for 1 min more, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium and add turkey, salt and pepper to pot, breaking up the meat with a spatula or potato masher as it cooks. Cook until no longer pink (~6 mins).
- Now add chopped tomatoes, marinara, Italian seasoning & stock/broth. Bring to a boil and add broken noodles. Cook noodles according to package, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all three cheeses in a medium bowl. Serve soup in bowl, with a scoop of the cheese mixture on top. Mix cheese into soup at the table.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. While we are not certified nutritionists, we work with a WordPress-integrated nutrition API to calculate our recipes' ingredient values.
Want more 28-minute recipes? Sign up and get recipes straight to your inbox!
Delish and easy to prepare for a quick weeknight meal!