Our Creamy Beef and Mushroom dish is the most simple and delectable version of Beef Stroganoff out there! Make this simple beef dish in ONE pan and in 28 minutes or less!
If you love quick and tasty beef dishes, be sure to also check out our Easy Carne Asada and Philadelphia Cheesesteak recipes that make great meals for busy nights!
👌 Why this Recipe Works
Basic ingredients- Other than the beef and mushrooms, you are likely to have many of the ingredients in your panty or fridge.
ONE pan- You'll only need ONE pan for this creamy beef and mushroom dish. Minimal mess, minimal cleanup!
Cooks fast! Like all of our recipes, our creamy beef and mushroom dish can be made in 28 minutes or less!
Perfect leftovers!- This sauce is easy to reheat! Store sauce for later and serve over rice, egg noodles or potatoes.
Notes on ingredients:
Beef- We prefer sirloin for its tender cut and juicy flavorful, but beef tenderloin or boneless ribeye also work nicely. We recommend cutting it into small cubes or strips.
Mushrooms- Just about any variety of mushroom will do! Consider buying pre-sliced to save time on slicing!
Broth-2 teaspoon of better than bouillon beef base or 2 bouillon cubes mixed with 2 cups of water may be used instead of packaged liquid broth.
Sour cream- To keep things lighter, consider using a lite version of sour cream. Cream cheese, heavy cream or plain Greek yogurt may also be used.
Garnishes (not pictured): We like chopped chives on this dish, but fresh, chopped parsley is also lovely.
🥩 How to Make this Dish
Step 1: Season and cook veggies in butter
🥄Kid Step: Help chop! Our fave kids knives right now are: Opinel Knife & Curious Chef Knife Set.
Step 2: Mix in beef and flour
🥄Kid Step: Mix in flour. Kids may like seeing the flour form a paste!
Step 3: Add broth mixture and simmer
🥄Kid Step: Measure and blend ingredients. We used this 4-cup Pyrex Measuring Cup to measure/pour the broth.
Step 4: Stir in sour cream
🥄Kid Step: Stir in sour cream and watch the sauce lighten in color and thicken in texture!
To plate: serve over pasta or rice. Optional: top with chopped chives.
✏️ Expert Tips & Tricks
🥩 To keep sirloin tender, be sure to cut along the grain.
🥩 Buy pre-sliced ingredients to save time on prep work. Simply ask your butcher to slice your beef and/or buy pre-sliced mushrooms. That way, the only prep you'll need to do is chop the onion and garlic.
🥩 To keep mushrooms firm (and not soggy!) be careful not to overcook them in the butter.
🥩 Sauce will thicken as it cooks. Allow sauce to simmer until you reach your desired thickness.
Our creamy beef and mushroom sauce is very similar to stroganoff sauce, which is a sour cream ? beef-based gravy. Stroganoff sauce is typically thickened with flour and contains mushrooms.
To thicken your sauce, simply add 1 cup water and 2 T cornstarch in a Pyrex container. Then pour that mixture into the sauce and stir continuously until thickens as desired.
We recommend serving our beef and creamy mushroom sauce over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. We served this recipe over egg noodles and it was a huge hit with the kids! This dish also pairs nicely with a simple side salad, or sliced veggies like cucumbers or carrot sticks.
Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to three days. To reheat, simple microwave or reheat in a pot on the stove.
👶 Tips for Picky Eaters
Plain mushrooms on the side! If your kids don't like mushrooms in a sauce, set aside some plain mushrooms before mixing them into the sauce.
Kids choose the pasta. Instead of egg noodles, let kids pick the dish's pasta or grain. The base is really just a vehicle for the delicious sauce. Lol!
Sauce on the side. If kids don't want their noodles and sauce mixing together, serve the beef and sauce on the side
🧶 Craft for this Recipe
This DIY mushroom house craft is easy to make, doesn't require many supplies, and can keep the kids entertained for hours! Invite the kids to build this adorable mushroom house while you make this dish!
🍽 Other Beef Recipes
Follow Platein28 on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook and Sign up for our newsletter for all the latest recipes and crafts!
Creamy Beef and Mushroom
- 1 large pan
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped or minced)
- 1 Pound mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- 3 Teaspoon salt
- 1.5 pounds sirloin steak (sliced thin into ¼" pieces, cut along the grain of the meat)
- 4 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- fresh chives (chopped, optional)
- 1 Pound egg noodles optional
- Heat the butter in a large pan on medium-high heat. Once butter has melted, add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt, and the pepper. Saute for 5-7 mins, stirring regularly.
- Add the beef and flour to the pan. Whisk until well mixed into the veggies. Keep stirring constantly, for at least 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl or pyrex, whisk together the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and smoked paprika. Slowly add the broth mixture to the pan and simmer beef mixture together for 5 minutes.
- As a final step, stir in the sour cream and stir/whisk until evenly distributed, until it's as thick as you like. Scoop beef mixture on top of pasta for rice. Optional: Sprinkle with fresh, chopped chives.
- To keep sirloin tender, be sure to cut along the grain.
- 2 bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoon of better than bouillon beef base mixed with 2 cups of water may be used instead of packaged liquid broth.
- Buy pre-sliced ingredients to save time on prep work. Simply ask your butcher to slice your beef and/or buy pre-sliced mushrooms. That way, the only prep you'll need to do is chop the onion and garlic.
- To keep mushrooms firm (and not soggy!) be careful not to overcook them in the butter.
- Sauce will thicken as it cooks. Allow sauce to simmer until you reach your desired thickness.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. While we are not certified nutritionists, we work with a Wordpress-integrated nutrition API to calculate our recipes' ingredient values.
Dan from Platter Talk
What a FUN and delicious recipe! Our teenage boys made this tonight and everyone drooled over it. Seriously, where has this dish been all of my life?! Thanks for sharing this one!
Dan! Thank you so much!!! I'm thrilled you guys like it. Cheers -Julie