In the mood for a fresh, homemade pizza? This delicious pizza dough recipe is the real deal! Made with whole wheat crust, this pizza has a healthy twist that will please even the pickiest of eaters! BONUS: Make this pizza fresh in 28 minutes or less!
And if you love quick and kid-friendly Italian recipes, be sure to check out our One Pot Italian Soup, Ground Turkey Spaghetti and Baked Italian Sausage.
👍 Why We Love This Fresh Pizza Dough
Homemade! This pizza dough is restaurant quality, but can be made entirely at home!
Quick and simple- Our wheat pizza dough requires only five ingredients and comes together in no time at all.
Kid-friendly- Our homemade and fresh pizza will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters! Even better my 7-year old son was able to make this recipe entirely on his own. The steps are very kid-friendly.
A healthy-twist! This pizza dough recipe uses whole wheat flour, which is rich in protein, fiber, and various minerals.
Notes on Ingredients:
Honey- This gives the dough its slight sweet flavor!
Rapid rise/instant yeast- We like Red Star's Quick Rise Yeast
Whole wheat flour- Our favorite is King Arthur's Whole Wheat Flour
Step 1: Whisk together water, honey and yeast. Let mixture stand for a few minutes, covered with a dish cloth.
Step 2: Slowly mix in the flour, olive oil and salt.
Step 3: Roll dough into a ball and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Roll out the dough
Step 5: Add toppings and bake!
Quick Tip: Make meal prep a fun family activity! Kids can prepare the fresh pizza dough and add the topping on their own!
✔️ Tips and Tricks
- To make this as healthy as pizza can be, we recommend using whole wheat flour and a low-fat mozzarella.
- When rolling out the dough, keep sprinkling bits of flour if the dough sticks to the rolling pin or surface.
- We used the toppings that our kids like, but whatever you like, go for it! Don Pepino has been our favorite pizza sauce for years. We also love Applegate, Natural Uncured Pepperoni.
- Let pizza sit for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with salad or extra veggie toppings on the side.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut up this pizza. Whole wheat pizza crust can be a little bit tougher to cut.
🥗 What to Serve with Your Pizza
With a sufficient amount of toppings, a pizza can be enough of a meal one its own. However, if you re looking to pair your fresh homemade pizza with a side, we recommend a vegetable of choice or side salad. Some sides we recommend include:
- Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan & Lemon
- Grapefruit, Avocado & Arugula Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Chicken Watermelon Salad with Arugula and Feta
- Raw veggies, like cucumber slices , carrot sticks or peeled and sliced celery sticks
Store leftover pizza in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Pizza can be reheated in the microwave but I prefer reheat my my pizza in the toaster-oven for a crispier outcome.
A pizza is usually done baking when the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
👶🏾 Tips for Picky Eaters
🍅Let kids get creative! Do kids want to make a round, square or crazy shaped pizza? Let them decide!
🍅Kids pick the toppings! Encourage kids to choose at least one veggie. If kids can't agree, let them each choose a section of the pizza to decorate.
🍅Serve toppings the side. If kids don't like veggies on their fresh homemade pizza, serve them as a side.
➡️ You May Also Like...
Follow Platein28 on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook and Sign up for our newsletter for all the latest recipes and crafts!
🍕Fresh Pizza Dough with Whole Wheat Flour
- baking sheet or pizza pan
- cooking spray
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 2 ¼ Tablespoon rapid rise/instant yeast (or one ¼ oz packet)
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (+ extra for rolling dough)
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees. Then coat a baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking spray, dusted with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together water, honey and yeast. Let mixture stand for a few minutes, covered with a dish cloth, until slightly frothy/puffy.
- Slowly add the flour (my favorite), olive oil and salt, mixing ingredients together with a large spoon until a soft dough forms. Roll dough into a ball and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- On a clean surface, sprinkle some flour and use a rolling pin to roll dough to desired thickness. The pizza dough shape can be round, oval or a completely uneven blob! Keep sprinkling bits of flour if the dough sticks to the rolling pin or surface.
- Add toppings, place pizza onto baking sheet or pizza pan, and bake on the top rack for 12-15 mins. Note: Our favorite tomato sauce is Don Pepino.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. While we are not certified nutritionists, we work with a Wordpress-integrated nutrition API to calculate our recipes' ingredient values.
Leave a Reply