Recently we've started a tradition of having pizza delivery on Friday nights. The other night we ordered a pizza and watched Mary Poppins in our basement, and the kids thought that was the absolute greatest thing ever (we don't usually eat in front of the TV!).
But this past Friday we decided to make our own, homemade pizza. At first my kids weren't thrilled about it. I think they love the idea of food being delivered to our house 🙂 But once I laid out all the ingredients, they totally jumped on board. In fact, my son did 99% of the work. It was awesome to see.
To keep things healthy, we opted to use whole wheat flour for the pizza dough (I really love King Arthur's Whole Wheat Flour). To my surprise, the kids really liked the dough, especially my son, who is my pickier eater.
We also made our own pizza sauce, and it turned out great! From the dough to the sauce, I gotta say it feels good to make a pizza completely from scratch. And it's definitely easier and less time consuming than you'd think.
I let the kids choose the pizza toppings, and they settled on black olives and pepperoni. We set up a pizza decorating station and the kids had a ball picking and choosing where the toppings went on the pizza.
🌈 KIDIFY THE MEAL 🌈
🍅Let kids get creative! Do kids want to make a round, square or crazy shaped pizza? Let them decide!
🍅Kids pick the toppings! Encourage kids to choose at least one veggie. If kids can't agree, let them each choose a section of the pizza to decorate.
🍅Serve toppings the side. If kids don't like veggies on their pizza, serve them as a side.
🍴 MODIFY THE MEAL🍴
🍅Change up the toppings! Obviously, this is a pizza...and pizzas can be whatever you want them to be. Ditch the pepperoni. Add more veggies, less veggies, whatever makes you happy 🙂
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza
- baking sheet or pizza pan
- 8 ounce bag mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup pepperoni, sliced
- 2.25 ounce can sliced black olives
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees. Then coat a baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking spray, dusted with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together water, honey and yeast. Let mixture stand for a few minutes, covered with a dish cloth, until slightly frothy/puffy.
- Slowly add the flour (my fave), olive oil and salt, mixing ingredients together with a large spoon until a soft dough forms. Roll dough into a ball and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- On a clean surface, sprinkle some flour and use a rolling pin to roll dough to desired thickness. The pizza dough shape can be round, oval or a completely uneven blob! Keep sprinkling bits of flour if the dough sticks to the rolling pin or surface.
- Mix together pizza sauce ingredients in a separate bowl (or use your favorite brand of pizza sauce; Don Pepino has been our family favorite for years). Spread pizza sauce evenly onto pizza. Sprinkle with cheese and desired toppings. Place pizza onto baking sheet or pizza pan. Bake on the top rack for 12-15 mins.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. While we are not certified nutritionists, we work with a Wordpress-integrated nutrition API to calculate our recipes' ingredient values.
Choose an Activity