Our kids are always asking for breakfast for dinner. So, we decided to have a little fun and make these delicious and easy Vanilla and Cinnamon Pancakes! And the timing was perfect, as we turned this dish into a festive New Year's Meal (see our Pancake Numbers Craft for details).
As much we we appreciate pre-made pancake mixes, these vanilla and cinnamon pancakes are incredibly easy to make from scratch. Kids can easily take ownership of the prep work. There is no chopping involved in this recipe, just some basic measuring, pouring and mixing!
See how to make Easy Vanilla and Cinnamon Pancakes
Breakfast for Dinner never fails!
We love pancakes for breakfast, but there is something special and exciting about having them for dinner! It's not something we do very often, so we try to reserve this sweet indulgence for special occasions. There are ways to make this meal healthier, like by adding some fruit to the pancake mixture or serving the pancakes with yogurt or a healthy protein side dish.
We kept things simple and added some crispy bacon and strawberries to our plates, but the possibilities are endless. If you are planning to stay in the breakfast department, we recommend pairing the pancakes with yogurt, our Catchall Frittata or these adorable Mini Crustless Ham and Broccoli Quiches.
HAVE A FAMILY COOKING SESSION
This recipe allows for lots of hands on tasks, like pouring the batter into fun shapes and flipping pancakes as they cook. So, why not make cooking a family activity?! Not only will cooking together help pass the time, but cooking with your kids has some real educational benefits. For example, cooking with kids can boost self-esteem and foster healthy eating habits.
HOW KIDS CAN HELP MAKE THESE PANCAKES:
This recipe involves many kid-friendly tasks. Here are some ways for your lil' sous chefs to help out:
- Measure and combine ingredients. Let kids do the measuring. pouring and mixing to create the pancake batter. We used our Pyrex Measuring Cup to pour the pancake mixture onto the skillet. A wire whisk like this one is great for mixing the batter.
- Choose the pancakes shape or theme! We turned our pancakes into numbers to celebrate 2020, but you can also form letters or shapes! Let kids decide what they'd like to make (within reason!) and have fun! They may also enjoy flipping the pancakes as they cook.
Easy Vanilla and Cinnamon Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T white granulated sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 T melted butter
- 2 t vanilla
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 T butter
- Combine and mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine and whisk together wet ingredients in a separate, medium bowl. Slowly add wet ingredients to bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until evenly mixed.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 T butter on a skillet at medium heat.
Choose an Activity
Craft for this Recipe:
Pancake Numbers Craft! Your kids can make this Pancake Numbers Craft craft while you prepare this dish! Kids can practice their numbers with this 100% edible craft!