Note: Some of the links in this post are Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on an affiliate link and purchase an item, we will receive a commission. However, we genuinely recommend all the products we link.
Puppet crafts and Creative Play
The nicest part about this 3d fish puppet craft is that once your kids create their puppets, they can actually play with them and make a puppet show! Recently my kids have gotten into recording themselves dancing and performing. Putting on a puppet show with their fish was the perfect activity to keep them busy and creative while I made our Easy Baked Cod with Panko.
3D Paper Crafts Are So Cool
It's amazing how with very little effort, you can make your artwork pop off the paper, giving it a beautiful 3D effect. Our kids love making their artwork "jump" off the page, as we have done with our 3D Pop-Up Pepper craft. And there are tons of other 3D crafts out there. In our research, we also found tons of other cool 3D art projects for kids, like these 3D Paper Apple Trees, this Simple 3D Rainbow Craft, and this Butterfly Template to make beautiful 3D butterflies.
A Chance to Practice Fine Motor Skills
The cool part about this activity is that it provides a great opportunity for kids to practice their fine motor skills. The cutting and gluing definitely requires some dexterity and focus. This was great for my daughter, as she is working on sharpening her cutting skills this year in first grade. Note: If the cutting is difficult for kids, adults or older siblings can help out with this task.
How to Make 3D Fish Puppets
Notes on Supplies:
- We used construction paper for the fish cutout but thinner, colored paper for the scales.
- Tape or Elmer's Glue can be used.
- We love these kid-friendly scissors by Westcott.
Step 1: Draw and cut out your fish.
Step 2: Fold colored paper in half and cut out several small circles.
Step 3: Glue circles, folded side down, onto fish to form scales.
Step 4: Draw the fish's eye and mouth.
Step 5: Glue two popsicle sticks to the back of the fish. Now time to play!
Other Paper Crafts
3D Fish Puppets
- Draw and cut out a fish from construction paper.
- Fold 2-3 sheets of colored paper in half. Draw and cut out several half circles along the folded line to form small circular shapes of paper that are folded in the middle. Feel free to vary their sizes.
- Glue or tape the folded side of each circle to the fish to form its scales.
- Draw your fish's eyes and mouth.
- Glue or tape two popsicle sticks to the back of your fish to transform it into a puppet.