I love doing crafts with the kids with supplies we have lying around the house. Toilet paper rolls, old tupperware, cardboard boxes…we love making the most of our recyclables before we send them off.
While making Classic Beef Stroganoff this week, we decided to turn an empty glass bottle into something fun and interesting. Since our recipe features beef, we decided to decorate our bottles black and white, like a cow! My daughter decided to use the decorated bottle as a vase, but it can really serve any purpose, like a paper weight or coin holder. And of course, this recyclable craft doesn’t have to be cow-themed. Kids can decorate their bottle however they’d like!
While crafting, you and your kids might want to take a moment to learn some fun facts about this meal’s featured ingredient:
🐄 Beef 🐄
- Beef is meat from a full grown cattle, about two years old.
- Sirloin is steak cut from the back of the cow.
- Because beef is considered a red meat, it has more iron than chicken or fish.
- Beef is a good source of protein. Foods with protein serve as building blocks for our bodies (e.g., our bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood).
Corresponding Recipe: Classic Beef Stroganoff
Skills supported: Fine motor (cutting, folding, gluing), following instructions, math (composing shapes)
- Empty and clean glass bottle.
- Elmer’s Glue
- Small container for glue
- Foam paint brushes
- Scissors (kid-friendly scissors)
- White tissue paper and black paper or tissue paper
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Consider setting up the craft before cooking so kids can get to work right away.
- Cut white tissue paper into several small squares (enough to cover whole bottle).
- Cut out 5-10 black spots from black paper/tissue paper. It was easier for our kids to cut spots from paper vs. tissue paper.
- Pour glue into small dish.
- Use paint brush to glue white squares onto the whole bottle. Glue black spots on top of white tissue paper as desired. Your lovely cow bottle recyclable craft can be used as a vase, paper weight, or piggy bank! Anything you want!
*For toddlers especially, these tasks may require adult supervision and/or assistance.